Glasgow City Innovation District organized and hosted the Second Glasgow Tech Fest
The second Glasgow Tech Fest saw more than 300 delegates gather to share ideas around growing the city’s burgeoning technology sector.
The event focused on five key themes: impactful innovation, market dynamics, ecosystem development, commercial strategies, and growth leadership.
The packed agenda saw speakers including: TV presenter and journalist Spencer Kelly; Bayile Adeoti, Founder of Dechomai and President of Scottish Women in Business; Alison Porter, Portfolio Manager at Janus Henderson Global Investors; Dominic McGregor, co-founder of Social Chain and founder of Fearless Adventures; and Professor Janice Kirkpatrick OBE, Creative Director of Graven share insights on successful innovation and collaboration.
Amongst the key takeaways from Glasgow Tech Fest were:
- AI and AI services that support Automation are now a crucial digital service for any business
- Global investors recognise the value of investing in businesses developing products utilising AI, Crypto, Digital Cloud and the Meta verse
- Investors have shifted their thinking to commercialising deep tech innovation which aligns with the pipeline of innovation that’s emerging from Glasgow’s latest tech startups and spinouts
- Having a solid vision and shared mission provides early stage businesses a clear pathway from which to grow their business
- The Ecosystem is good at providing a range general business support e.g. investment and IP support, however a larger focus is now needed on developing sales talent and skills within organisations
- The Commercial Strategies panel session highlighted that as soon as you start your business, developing your team members sales experience from within the business is crucial;
- There is a clear opportunity to bring together founders with previous start up experience (those who have received investment and grown their business) with talent who have several years of deep industry expertise. Combining both talents delivers a strong development team from which to accelerate business growth.
Following the success of the 2023 event a date for next year’s Glasgow Tech Fest has already been set for 16 May, which will coincide with Glasgow Tech Week which will run from 13-17 May. Glasgow City Innovation District will be the founding partner and lead organiser of the Week which will be a celebration of the technology being developed across the city from the founders, leaders and businesses involved in developing them. The format will be a week-long festival that will showcase the expertise and development of Glasgow’s Tech sector and offers the city’s tech.